Our mission is to secure the public's life, health, and welfare in their environment through the enforcement of City codes and ordinances. All new commercial, educational and recreational structures are thoroughly inspected by our Inspection's Department to ensure public life safety issues are provided for. We assist our commercial and residential customers with all aspects of construction and remodeling projects and assist contractors in obtaining their necessary permits.
As a property owner, it is in your best interest to have the proper inspections when each phase of a project is completed. This protects not only your safety but also the value of your home. It is the responsibility of every contractor to obtain a permit before beginning work in the City and to assure that your project will be inspected for code compliance, verify that your contractor has obtained a permit prior to beginning any construction/remodeling project.
Lawn, landscaping, and tree services are also required to have a City business license through the City Clerk's Office.
Planning & Zoning Board Meetings
Visit the Planning and Zoning Board page for more meeting information.
Board of Zoning Adjustments Meetings
- 4th Monday of each month (only if cases pending)
- 7 pm at Center Point City Hall (City Council Chambers)
Permits Issued & Inspections
- Additions, Renovations/Repairs, Accessory Structures, Roofing
- Alarm (Low Voltage)
- Building Permits (Residential and Commercial)
- Demolition Permits
- Storm Water/Land Disturbance
Common Repairs Not Requiring A Permit
o Floor Replacement
o Installing Carpet
o Installing Counter Tops
o Replacing Stair Tread
o Toilet Replacement
o Repair Plumbing Leaks
o Installing Cabinets
o Tiling Floor
o Replacing Doors
o Back Bedroom Closet
o Wall Papering
o Fence Replacement
o Cabinet Installation
o Replace Elec. Outlet
No Permit No Inspection
All persons permitting electrical, plumbing, gas, and HVAC work must hold proper certifications and current business licenses for the City of Center Point.
- Code Regulations: 2015 International Code Council (ICC) for everything except Electrical 2017 National Electrical Code NEC
- Inspections are scheduled 24 hours in advance on a first come first serve basis
- We will issue Stop Work Orders for any job not in compliance with our regulations
To report work being performed without a permit please call 205-854-4460.
Contact Inspections Services for detailed fee information. All permit fees will be doubled if work begins prior to work being permitted. Permit fees are based on actual work to be performed with a minimum fee of $50.
- Building Permit: 1.5 % of actual work + $20 issuance fee
- Demolition: $120 (Flat Fee)
- Electrical, Plumbing, Gas, and HVAC: 2% of actual work + $20 issuance fee
- Preliminary Inspection fee: $50
- Re-inspection Fee: $25 (rejected or no show) for the first one, then goes up by $25 for each subsequent re-inspection
- Signs are based on the actual type and square footage of the sign to be erected
- Check Businesses for Proper Licenses
- Issue and Inspect Sign Permits
- Maintain All City-Owned Property
- Meet with Citizens Concerning Residential and Commercial Complaints
- Plan Review
- Process Rezoning Requests
- Process Variance Requests
- Review, Interpret and Enforce City Ordinances
Check Businesses for Proper Licenses
- New Business Inspections
- Stop Work Orders
To report a business operating without a business license please call 205-854-4460
- New Building Construction, additions, major repairs/renovation to existing structures. Subdivision
- Review plans and blue prints for City.
Process Rezoning Request
- Application; Cut-off date for submitting items for agenda minimum of 15 (fifteen) days prior to meeting date
- Issue zoning releases to contractors for permitting
- Send letters to property owners for rezoning
- Sub-division review/approval
- Verify/enforce zoning codes
- Work with property owners, agents, and developers concerning zoning issues.
Process Variance Request
- Application cut-off date for submitting agenda items is a minimum of 15 days prior to meeting date
- Review/approve Variance Request
- Send letters to adjourning property owners for variance
- Work with adjourning property owners concerning variance issues
Review, Interpret & Enforce City Ordinances
- Dangerous Buildings
- Non-operable Vehicle
- Nuisance and Abatement
- Vicious Dogs (Leash Law)